Saturday, June 16, 2012

Holy moly guacamole

Does the phrase sound familiar? Probably because it is. I remember Billy from Masterchef 2011 exclaiming this while I couldn't stop laughing. What a phrase it is!

I am finally dwindling down to the last few avocados from the large box my dad bought, and surprisingly enough, I am not sick of them! Actually, I think I will be quite sad as I eat the last one. I've been eating avocados on toast with salt and pepper for quite a while now and decided to change it up a bit with some guacamole! The original recipe calls for lime, but I only had lemons in the house so a little bit of improvisation was worked into my guacamole. When I was tasting the guacamole plain, I thought it was a bit too strong in lemon. However, after I put it in my sandwich with some turkey and added some spices, it was delicious and not too tangy at all. One of the best sandwiches I've had for a while now.

I really do urge everyone to make some guacamole - lots of healthy fats from avocados, YUM!


Guacamole

Ingredients
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tomato, deseeded and chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, minced
red onion, chopped finely
1 pinch cumin
1 pinch paprika
salt and pepper to taste
(I would also recommend adding in some chilli flakes or chilli oil for that extra bit of heat! I didn't have any unfortunately)

Method
1. Toast garlic and onion on a pan until caramelised (optional).
2. Remove the seed, scoop out avocado flesh with a spoon and mash it with a fork.
3. Add chopped tomato, garlic, onion and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
4. Season with cumin, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Eat! With tortilla chips, in a sandwich, lettuce cup - options are endless!


I put mine in a sandwich with turkey slices and cheese and toasted it. Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment